Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Picture day problems

Some days things just don't go as planned.  Our usual routine is that I wake up and get ready about 5 a.m. before little D gets up around 6 a.m.  Well, sometimes I get so involved in my detailed dreams that it really is difficult to wake up.  Today was one of those days, so I got up late.  I thought it would be okay because the little guy got a shot yesterday and I assumed he would sleep in a little longer.  It seemed to have the opposite effect because he woke up earlier.  I tried to give him to Micah so I could get ready but for some odd reason he wasn't feeling that today.  He wanted me.  It was obvious - there was no hope of taking a shower today.  So I scooped up some toys and brought him to the bathroom so we could go back and forth between playing and trying to make some order of my hair.  I threw some water in it, and some random gel here and there - sometimes on top of wet hair, and sometimes on top of dry hair.  You can imagine that it was a mess but I was in my "I don't really care what I look like today" mode.  
When I got to school I immediately saw that they were setting up for picture day! Yesterday we got an email reminding us that today was picture day, but I definitely did not think about it any time after reading that email.  So...I walked to the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror for awhile, thinking, "what can I do to straighten out this mess?"  I was wearing a dress that I bought in the juniors section and although it is the most comfortable thing I own, it's not what I would have picked to show up on my ID, in the yearbook, and on all the class composite pictures (three different ones since I teach in three different classes!).  I quickly decided that I could do absolutely nothing about my clothes, but proceeded to take the hairband out of my hair and shake it around a bit to see if I could start over.  Now remember how sloppy I was in applying hair product.  It showed.  I did my best to pull back the fuzzy parts so the camera wouldn't see them but it was not entirely possible. Oh well - at least I had worn cute earrings!  On another note, that comfy dress exposed my unshaven legs because of my missed shower, so I felt their prickliness all day.  Some days you just have to shrug it off and laugh!

But while I'm venting, I'd love some feedback on this one...why do stores sell more girl baby clothes than boy baby clothes?  I have seen it consistently!  And why in the world do they sell socks in size 3-12 months?  What baby stays around the same size for those 9 months?  And why are so many boy socks white?  Girls have all kinds of colors.  Boys crawl around and get dirty at day care and I'd really love some colored ones to hide that dirt.  But guess what I bought today?  White socks!

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty fun day!

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying your blog:-). Sounds like life is going well for you and Micah! Reading this particular post made me smile at the year we lived together and the extreme contrast between my stick-straight, thin, limp hair and your curly, full red locks! I was always so amazed by your curls:-). Love your sense of humor, your beautiful heart and your passion for seeking God! May He continue to bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings. :) It's really good to hear from you...and you are the first person to post a comment. Makes me feel special. :)

    ReplyDelete