Saturday, September 24, 2011

Kicked my butt

I just finished preparing for the Sunday School lesson I'm going to teach in the morning, and it totally kicked my butt.  I need to practice what I'm about to teach.  The curriculum says, "Explain that worrying and being afraid is the opposite of trusting God."  I know this, but can always use the reminder!
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:25-26

It also talks about the scripture that says God knows exactly how many hairs are on my head.  (And let me tell you that number just changed because I was playing with my hair while preparing the lesson and I accidentally pulled out a whole bunch of pieces!)  So if he knows the continually changing number of hairs on my head, he obviously knows my concerns, what I need, what I want, what scares me, what makes me nervous.  And he doesn't want me to worry.  He wants me to TRUST.

I typically sing little D to sleep, and a frequent song I sing is an old one I know from a Psalty video I watched as a kid.  Anyone a Psalty fan?  Some guy dressed up in a big blue song book costume...

Anyway, here are the lyrics.  Simple.  Important.  Trusting.

I cast all my cares upon you.
I lay all of my burdens down at your feet.
And anytime I don't know what to do,
I will cast all my cares upon you.

The lesson actually addressed this as well.  How do we cast?  We pray.  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let you requests be made known to God." Phillippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment